Jump to Freedom

Ver el tema anterior Ver el tema siguiente Ir abajo

Jump to Freedom

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Vie Jul 06, 2012 4:31 pm

CHAPTER 1
Life on the Plantation
The year was 1848. Sarah Jackson and her daughters, Molly and Ella, were slaves on a plantation in Virginia, USA. The children's father, Ben, was also a slave. He worked on a different plantation, and they only saw him once a year, at Christmas.
Their master's name was John Smith and he owned about 100 slaves. Most of them worked in the cotton fields or were house servants. Others cared for the master's sheep and pigs, or made clothes and furniture.
The slaves had one meal a day of bread and a little meat. Once a year, they got a new pair of shoes and new works clothes.
Once a moth, they had a day off and they had different clothes for this day.
The children on the plantation started to work in the fields at the age of seven. Molly was six and Ella was four, so they stayed in their cabin during the day or played outside with the other young children.
It was 4.30 am and Sarah was already awake. She started to work in the fields at 5.00. This morning, she was worried about her daughters because they were ill.
`My head hurts,´ Molly said. Ella coughed and started to cry. Sarah put her hand on their foreheads.
`Both of you have got temperatures,´ she said. `I'll make some herbal tea for ou and then, O must go to work.´

Rafa Romero Palma

Re: Jump to Freedom

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Vie Jul 06, 2012 4:45 pm

CHAPTER 2
A Dangerous Secret
Sarah's cabin was hot and dark, with one small window and a table. While Sarah was at work, Molly slept on a thin straw mattress on the dirty floor. Ella sat next to her and played with her doll.
Sarah usually worked until dark, but today was different.
`You can go home early,´ the master said. `I', going on a trip to the mountains and I need a scarf. Please make me one.´
Sarah knitted many lovely clothes for the master and his wife. Mrs Smith liked her, and sometimes came to the cabin with wool and patterns for sweaters or blankets.
Sarah arrived home and immediately prepared more herbal tea, her special cold remedy, for the girls.
After dinner, the neighbour's boy, Tom, came to visit. Molly and Tom had a dangerous secret. They both knew how to read and write. In those days, this was illegal for slaves. But Tom's mother, Ruth, taught the children in secret.
This worried Sarah because slaves received severe punishments for breaking the law.
After a few days, the girls felt much better. Ella played outside with the younger children again, and Molly and Tom started a secret project - writing a diary.
A month later, Tom had his seventh birthday and started to work in the fields. After that, Molly didn't see him very often.

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Sáb Jul 07, 2012 10:11 am

CHAPTER 3
Where is Tom?
Early one morning, one of Mr Smith's house servants, Jacob, came to Ruth's cabin.
`Dress yout son Tom in his best clothes,´ he told Ruth.
Tom changed his clothes and letf with Jacob. Ruth waited for his return, but he didn't come home. For weeks, she heard nothing and was very worried.
Then, one day, Ruth meet Jacob. "Where is Tom?" she asked.
"What's happening to him?"
Jacob took her hand and then told her the terrible news.
"I'm sorry, Ruth, but Tom has got a new master now." Ruth was desperate. "Tell me everything," she said.
"Our master weighed Tom," Jacob explained. "Then, he took him to the slave market to sell him."
Ruth fell on the floor and cried. "I'll never see me soon again!" she shouted.
Soon, Molly heard about her friend and was very sad.
"Maybe Tom's new master is cruel and he'll whip him," she thought. "Will Mr Smith sell me, too?"
That night, Molly had a dream. She was in a boat on a river with Tom. She wore a pretty dress and she was very happy. They were free!
Suddenly, she heard shots from a pistol and she saw Mr Smith next to the river. Tom took Molly's hand. "Jump, Molly! Jump to freedom!" he shouted.
Molly woke feeling very frightened and looked around her. Tom wasn't there and she was still a slave... After that, she often had the same dream.

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Lun Jul 09, 2012 9:53 am

CHAPTER 4
A Visit from the Master's Wife
In September, Mrs Smith had a baby girl, and they called her Catherine. The baby often cried and needed constant care.
One cold evening, somebody knocked on Sarah's cabin door. It was Mrs Smith with her baby.
"Did you finish knitting the baby clothes?" Mrs Smith asked.
"Some of them, Madam," replied Sarah. "These clothes are ready, and I'll finish the others in a few days."
Then, Catherine started to cry. "This baby cries all the time," said Mrs Smith, worried, "and her nanny can't calm her."
Molly held Catherine's little hand and sang to her. The baby stopped crying immediately. She smiled and listened to the song
Mrs Smith was surprised. She smiled at Molly. "She wants to go to you, Molly," she said.
A few days later, Sarah finished the other clothes adn Molly took them to the house. The master's son, Edward, was outside.
He was 12 years old and he was a horrible mean boy.
"What have you got there, little girl?" Edward asked, and pulled the clothes from Molly's hands. "Do you want them back?" he laughed. "Then come and get them!"
Molly ran to him angrily and pushed him into the bushes.
"Ouch! I'm going to tell my father!" he said, and ran to the house. "Firist he'll punish you and then he'll sell you!"
Molly was frightened. She took the clothes and ran home.

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Lun Jul 09, 2012 10:08 am

CHAPTER 5
Inside the Big House
A few days later, Jacob came to the cabin to speak to Sarah.
"You must dress Molly in her best clothes," he said. "The master wants to see her in the house." Sarah was terrified and pulled Molly behind her.
"No, not my Molly!" she cried.
"Sarah, the master's waiting," insisted Jacob.
"He'll come himself- and then we'll have problems!"
But Sarah didn't move. "Let the master come!" she said. "He won't take my daughter! He must kill me firist!"
"No, Mama!" shouted Molly
"Don't make the master angry. I'll go with Jacobs. I'll be OK. Don't worry, Mama."
Molly put on her clean dress and followed Jacob out of the door. She looked at her terrified mother and smiled at her bravely. "I'll return soon," she said.
She followed Jacob into the big house. It was her firist time inside the house, and it frightened her. Everything was enormous and impressive.
Jacob and Molly went upstairs and walked down a long corridor. The stopped outside a room and Molly heard the baby crying. "Knock and go inside," he said.
Molly was very frightened. "Is Mr Smith going to weigh me and sell me in the market, like Tom?" she asked.
Jacob didn't reply. He left her outside the door and went to do his work.

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Mar Jul 10, 2012 4:16 pm

CHAPTER 6
A New Situation
Molly knocked timidly and the nanny, a young slave named Eve, opened the door. Mrs Smith was inside with Catherine. The baby was crying. Molly didn't see any scales in the room. "Come here, child," said Mrs Smith. "Catherine likes you. Sing to her for a while!"
Eve put Catherine in Molly's arms and Molly started to sing. Catherine stopped crying immediately. "I think she likes music, Madam," said Molly.
"Incredible," said Mrs Smith. "You are very good with her! You must stay in the house now, Molly. You'll sleep next to the baby's room and you must comfort her if she cries."
"Yes, Madam," said Molly.
Mrs Smith showed Molly a little room in the corner with a straw mattres on the floor. "You'll sleep here," she said. Then, she left Molly alone with Eve.
Molly didn't understand. "Isn't the master going to sell me?" she asked.
Eve laughed. "No, Molly. You'll strat to work in the house," she replied. "You're lucky. This is easier than picking cotton and you'll get nice clothes and better food."
But Molly didn't want nice clothes and better food. She wanted to return to her mother.
That night, Molly, lay on the straw mattres in the little room, but she didn't sleep.
Catherine woke every few hours and Eve changed her clothes and fed her. Then Molly sang to her and soon, the baby was asleep.

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Jue Jul 12, 2012 4:00 pm

CHAPTER 7
Alone with the Baby
Molly liked caring for the baby, but she was frightened of Edward. He callerd her "little slave girl", and laughed at her and tried to make her cry.
Every morning, Molly helped Eve wash the clothes and then she took Catherine to the garden. In the afternoons, she took the baby for walks in her pram, sang her to sleep and folded the dry clothes.
Molly felt tired all the time, and she missed her mother and sister. She only saw them during the afternoon walks if she and Catherine visited the cabin.
During one of these visits, Molly heard some very bad news. Tom's mother, Ruth, was dead. She never recovered from losing her son, Tom. In the end, she died from a broken heart.
At the end of February, Eve went to stay with Mrs Smith's sister for a few days to help her with her new baby. After Eve left, Mrs Smith gave Molly instructions.
"My house servant, Becca, is going to care for Catherine this week instead of Eve," she said. "But you'll be alone with her at night. You must sing to her when she cries."
Molly was nervous. "Maybe I won't hear the baby cry," she tought.
The firist day wasn't easy. Catherine missed Eve and cried all the time. Molly held her and sang to her, but it didn't help. Then, Becca spilled a bottle of milk, so Molly washed the carpet and cleaned the floor. It was very hard work for the little girl.

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Vie Jul 13, 2012 4:40 pm

CHAPTER 8
Edward Makes Problems
Catherine often woke two or three times during the night. That night, Molly left the baby's door open and tried to stay awake. But she was more tired than unsual and soon, she was asleep.
Somebody came into the room that night, but Molly didn't hear anything. It was Edward. He walked into the baby's room very quietly. Firist he closed the door to Molly's little room. Then, he put his hands into Catherine's cot and shook her. Catherine started to cry and Edward left the baby's room quickly. Catherine cried and cried but now, the door was closed and Molly was in a deep sleep. She didn't hear anything.
Finally, Mrs Smith heard Catherine. She came to the room and saw her baby alone, wet and unhappy.
Mrrs Smith was furious. She took Catherine out of the room and closed the door very hard. Molly woke suddenly and ran into the baby's room. The cot was epmty! This was not good! Molly stayed awake until morning, worrying.
At 6.00 am, the master came into the little room and pulled Molly from her bed. He didn't say a word, and took her downstairs and out of the house. Edward was at the bottom of the stairs. He had a big smile on his face.

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Lun Jul 16, 2012 4:35 pm

CHAPTER 9
Poor Molly!
Molly trembled with fear. Mr Smith hit her across her back with a whip. The first strike wasn't hard, but it cut through Molly's thin dress and into her skin. She cried with pain and her eyes filled with tears. Mr Smith felt sorry for the little girl, but he wanted to teach her a lesson. The whip came down on her back again and again. After the sixth strike, Molly fell onto her knees.
Mr Smith threw the whip on the ground.
Molly learned a very hard lesson from this horrible experience. The Smiths were very cruel and life wasn't fair. Poor Molly!
After that, Molly slept on the floor in front of Catherine's cot.
The wounds from the whip hurt and they left scars. Molly hated the Smiths now, especially Edward.
In March, Edward had his 13th birthday and the house slaves were busy with preparation for his party. They baked a special cake, prepared the bedrooms and cooked a big meal for all the visitors.
Molly also had her seventh birthday that week. But there was no meal or party to celebrate. On Molly's birthday, she left the master's house. It was hard, and the cotton cut Molly's hands. But she was happy to be at home with her mother and Ella again. The years passed slowly, and Molly stopped dreaming about Tom, the boat on the river and being free.

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Miér Jul 18, 2012 4:19 pm

CHAPTER 10
Edward's Wedding Present
It was 3rd May 1857, and Molly was 15 years old. It was Edward's wedding day and there was a lot of excitement in the master's house. Molly was very happy about the wedding. "Edward and his bride have got a house in the city," she thought. "Finally, that horrible man is leaving the plantation."
After the wedding celebration, Jacob arrived at the cabin to see Molly.
"Wash and dress quickly," he said. "You're coming with me to the house."
"Why?" asked Molly. "I don't work in the house. I work outside."
"You're leaving with the Master Edward and his bride," Jacob replied.
"What do you mean?" asked Molly, frightened.
"Why?"
"You're his wedding present from the master," replied Jacob.
Molly was horrified!
"I am Edward's wedding present from the master!" she exclaimed. "I hate Edward! I won't go with him!"
But she knew it was useless to say anything to the Smiths.
Sarah and Ella cried. They hugged her and said goodbye. That was the last time Molly ever saw them.
At first, Edward sent Molly sent Molly to work in his kitchen. Edward's wife, Mrs Dorothy Smith, was a quiet, kind woman, and she always spoke to Molly nicely. This made Edward angry.
"You're very nice to the slaves!" he shouted at his wife. "It's not good for them. We are their masters and they mustn't forget it!"
After that, his young wife rarely went downstairse to the kitchen and Edward was the total master of the house.

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Mar Jul 24, 2012 4:31 pm

CHAPTER 11
The Card Game
One evening, Edward was in the living room with an army captain and a gentleman from the city. The men were playing cards and they were all drunk. Molly filled their glasses with wine.
The captain was very interested in Molly. He watched her carefully with his grey eyes.
The captain took his cards from the table.
"Win the game and I'll give you my horse," he said to Edward.
"You racing horse, Champion?" Edward asked, surprised.
The captain laughed loudly. "No, I'll never bet Champion," he replied. "You can have my black horse."
"That old horse!" Edward said. "I don't want that!"
"What will you bet?" the captain asked Edward, and he looked at Molly again. "How about this little slave girl?"
"She's lazy and slow!" Edward said. "But you can have her!"
Molly waited nervously as the men played. The third man put three tens on the table. Then Edward followed with three Jacks. "You won't beat this," he said with a smile. But he was wrong! The captain had the ten, Jack, Queen, King and Ace of hearts.
"I win!" he said. "The slave girl is mine!"
Edward was furious. He threw his glass at the wall next to Molly's head and she dropped the wine. "Take the stupid girl!" he shouted.
So the captain took Molly home with him.

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Vie Jul 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Molly's life with the captain was worse than with Edward. She died everything for him. She worked all day and all night. She brought wood for the fire in his room. She helped him dress and she brought his meals. She prepared his bath and his clothes. But the captain never said a kind word to her. He shouted all the time, and Molly was very frightened of him.
One day, the captain was in a terrible mood and he came to find her.
"Where are my boots?" he shouted.
Molly brought him the boots and he closed the door on her hand. She was in terrible pain, but the captain gave her more work than ever to do.

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Vie Jul 27, 2012 4:49 pm

CHAPTER 12
A Surprise for Molly
In May, the captain took Molly on a trip to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to visit a friend. They arrived at a magnificent house in the city and the rooms were full of visitors.
A young girl took Molly to the servant's rooms at the back of the house. Molly was surprised to see beds in the rooms with nice pillows and sheets.
"You master is good to his slaves," Molly said.
"We aren't slaves, we're servants," said the young girl. Molly was confused.
A boy appeared at the door. He looked familiar. "Slavery is illegal here in the state of Pennsylvania," he said.
"Do you live here?" she asked.
"No, I came with my master from Virginia," the boy replied.
"He's just visiting the family here. I'm a slave, too."
Molly suddenly recognised him. It was her old friend Tom!

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Jue Ago 02, 2012 4:29 pm

The two friends hugged and cried with happiness.
"How is my mother?" Tom asked.
Molly's face suddenly changed. "Didn't you hear?" she said.
"You left and then you mother became ill and... she died."
Tom was furious. "Mr Smith is responsible for her death!" he shouted. "He killed her!"
That night, Molly prepared her master's bath. He was very drunk and fell asleep quickly. At midnight, she met Tom outside. They sat on the garden wall and looked at the street.
"Pennsylvania is a better state than Virginia," said Molly.
"Yes, it is," Tom replied. "I won't return to Virginia and die as a slave! I'm going to escape!"
Molly's heart suddenly started to beat very fast.
"What happens to escaped slaves here?" she asked.
"Nothing," replied Tom. "It's illegal to catch slaves in Pennsylvania."
Molly remembered her childhood dream. She remembered Tom holding her hand and his words, "Jump to freedom!" The words frightened her, but they filled her with hope.
Then, Molly felt Tom's hand in hers and she heard his voice. "Come on, Molly!" he shouted.
The two friends jumped down to the street and ran into the darkness- free at last!

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Rafa Romero Palma el Jue Ago 02, 2012 4:31 pm

THE END[b][center]

Rafa Romero Palma

Mensaje  Contenido patrocinado Hoy a las 8:32 am

Contenido patrocinado

Ver el tema anterior Ver el tema siguiente Volver arriba